FISH under the guidance of new Executive Director, Brooke Fleming, has had an amazing year. It has been a joy to serve on the Board and learn from all of the dedicated individuals who work and serve there. Here are a few updates for the year.
- In June, 2016, FISH sold the Snickelldoodle building. Proceeds from the sale and insurance claim funds are being set aside to help install a new commercial kitchen, office space, and an education room at our new location.
- FISH has served over 8,000 hot meals in the past 12 months.
- For FISH’s first quarter (July – Sept 2016), 3327 individuals received groceries and 65,916 lbs of food have been distributed.
- The Summer Meals for Kids program was the most successful in FISH’s history, serving 7072 lunches to hungry children in Kittitas Valley.
- Every week of the school year 100 backpacks are filled with food for children to take home so they don’t go hungry over the weekend.
As FISH continues to serve more of our hungry neighbors in this community, it is, I believe, a golden opportunity to help fund this important ministry. I am asking for the first time, for a line item in our 2017 budget to give funds to FISH. The donated food that FISH receives from the community is a huge blessing, however, funds for operational costs are also necessary. Unfortunately, electric bills and hard working staff cannot be paid with cans of food.